Sunday, August 29, 2010

Baby blues: Is this even normal?

So, ever since I hit the 3rd trimester I've been really emotional. I know that, between hormones and stress, a lot of pregnant women get really emotional, but this is seriously getting old. I think I may be battling the dreaded "baby blues."
I'm not sure how normal any of this is, since it's the first time I've been through it. I'm not really a very emotional or overly sensitive person, but the dumbest things seem to bring me down these days! It's stupid stuff like "Why didn't so-and-so come to my shower?" or "Why won't Nick just finish the patio?" or "How come no one has invited me to hang out recently?" These are all things that I normally wouldn't have thought twice about, but I just seem to dwell on trivial things like this lately. I feel like there are days that I just look for things to be wrong. And the funny thing is, an hour later, I'll feel perfectly fine, like nothing was ever the matter.

Needless to say, this is all getting a bit frustrating. I seem to be on an emotional roller coaster. Some mornings, I hate my clothes so much, I'm in tears trying to decide what to wear. Other days I get dressed without a problem. Some days, all I want to do is hang out at home with a good book. Other days, being home by myself all day makes me feel lonely and unproductive. Ugh!! I swear pretty soon I'm going to punch something!

Ok, I'm not REALLY going to punch something, but this cartoon made me happy :)

I feel like I'm going crazy! Is being this emotional even normal?

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, this reminded me of my friend Louise when she was prego with her son (my godson!!!). I remember one night she called me bawling because the pasta she made didn't taste like what she thought it would, not that is was bad but it wasn't what she wanted. There were so many times she would call me and tell me stories of her crying over the dumbest things. She said "thing is I know it is dumb and I am still crying!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw sweetie. I'm STILL having those feelings! :( It was really hard for me during my pregnancy with Tessa and I still haven't gotten over it. I think it will probably be easier for you. But definitely don't overlook the possibility of post-partum depression when you get to that point. Listen to your feelings, and talk about them, and call me if you need to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt this way with each one of my pregnancies. I hate the third trimester! Between hormones and being uncomfortable and tired...yeah no fun! The first 1-2 months postpartum have been pretty hard for me too. Hang in there! Find a good support group of other women that you can talk to.(guys just don't understand:) You can do it!

    ReplyDelete